Sunday, June 7, 2009

Beha'aloscha

As a general rule I try not to mix my theology and my show topics, but the fact is that that today's Torah reading and the daily Rashi commentary made it pretty hard to ignore the relevance both to my life and to my show.

The lighting of the Menorah both in its initial state and on the regular basis by the Priests and the position of the wicks for each of the branches of the Menorah is juxtaposed by Rashi in such a way as to show the importance of proper preparation for teaching. Granted I am not so much a teacher as a commentator but I am always cognizant of the fact that there are (a) always those who trust my opinion and (b) do in act learn from the subjects and material that we use on the show. I understand the mentality of some former NBA players who didn't want the responsibility of being role models and I am not presumptuous enough to put myself in the position of "role model" but there are those who take my opinions and information to form their own, and so in that manner it is similar to being an Instructor again.

Senior Chief Petry used to tell us that if a student failed it was our (the instructors) fault. We always got mad at him for that because, let's face it, some kids were just rocks and in some ways it was or job to rid the fleet of them. But now it is apparent that even Rashi seemed to have influenced (albeit unknowingly) the good Senior Chief. In essence, Rashi demands that Torah instructors be 100% prepared, and positioned in order to insure proper followup. In the same way Instructors had to be prepared and able to follow up, and presuming that we were the students should have been fine. A student who failed under those circumstances truly was incapable of becoming an FTB.

Interestingly enough the further discussion of the Siddur brought in the Pesukei D'Zimrah for Shabbat, focusing on Psalm 19 - which as you know is my favorite portion of the Tanach. Given the importance of Verse 2 and its effect on my understanding of Einstein and Gerald Shroeder and Rashis' insistence on proper preparation just seemed to be a pretty cool combination.



No comments:

Post a Comment