Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Googling the PDRK

So after the show on Wednesday I decided to go to Google Earth and take a mental vacation. For some reason I thought that North Korea might be just the place to go on this trip, but wasn't really expecting to see much given the extreme closed culture and the news that the place is essentially destitute and broke.

I was somewhat surprised as I Google-flew into Pyongyang I was a little taken back at the modern and massive city. I wasn't surprised that there was no Street view as there is in a lot of other cool places on my Google-trips, but I was able to find my way around and even got to an amusement park with a massive looping Roller-coaster!

After traveling about the city for a while I started getting that weird feeling again, and I realized that something is wrong. Okay... two things were wrong.

First, even though it was a daytime shot, there were virtually no cars on any of the roads and no people anywhere. It was weird. Go over to Tokyo or Seoul and you'll see what I mean. I figured that maybe it was just the wrong time of day, so I headed over to the coastal cities figuring that there is always activity there.

There wasn't.

So I started wondering why the people weren't out there. The only reasonable conclusion is the destitution of the PDRK is real.

But one of the ore surprising things is how detailed the Google Earth photos of the PDRK are. Consider, if the Google people can get that detailed in North Korea, what does the CIA know?

It was just a little Google-trip, but I was glad to get back to Modesto.


No comments:

Post a Comment