Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"Angels & Demons" -vs- "The Passion"



It
didn't take long before I started getting complaints from some listeners about our "Premiere Party" at 12:01am Friday for Angels & Demons.

"It's offensive."

"It's disrespectful to Roman Catholicism..."

So forth and so on.

Folks... it's FICTION. It's a story setting. While it might make you uncomfortable, where were your "complaints" about art being offensive when "The Passion of the Christ" showed to record crowds?

We are not the PLRI who puts out fatwa’s and jihads for popular artistic expression. If you don't want to read or see "Angels & Demons" then simply vote with your wallet and don't go.

The fact is that any time you touch on religion you are going to offend somebody. For the record, I found “The Passion” to be almost unbelievably offensive, not for its gratuitous violence but for it’s portrayal of unsound doctrine and false depiction of Jewish law and social behavior. In my view “The Passion” was little more than a screen version of Oberammergau.


Now you can be offended by that as I was by the film. But what I did was not go to see “The Passion.” If Angels & Demons offends you, then don’t go. But don’t tell me that I cannot go and enjoy myself at a fiction story about nuclear physics SET in the Vatican.

Dave! Diamond

No comments:

Post a Comment